Institute of Chemistry
With the rise of quantum technologies and the ability to control single atoms, ions and molecules, thermodynamics faces new challenges:
- What new thermodynamic effects can be observed in the quantum microscopic realm?
- Can quantum heat machines drastically outperform classical heat machines?
- Are there additional scale-dependent thermodynamic laws that become important only in small coherent systems?
- What are the possibilities entailed in microscopic thermal control protocols?
- How will the next generation of microscopic heat machines look like?